Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement
Associate Director / director of Communications
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a full-time Associate Director / Director of Communications in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement.
The Associate Director/Director of Communications leads the implementation and growth of a wide-range of marketing efforts for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (OVCIA). This is a one-person department with the selected candidate playing a hands-on role in the execution of social media, creating and managing website content and the writing and design of printed materials. The Associate Director / Director of Communications also serves the communications needs of the Vice Chancellor and Associate Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement by assisting in the preparation of reports and presentations
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign coordinates development efforts at the campus level and serves as liaison between the campus and the University of Illinois Foundation. The office is responsible for the planning and implementation of all campus fundraising efforts with deans and college development officers, including annual funds, major gifts, and foundation relations.
- Develop concepts and write copy for marketing materials to be used in a variety of platforms, including web, printed materials, video and presentations by campus leadership
- Serve communications needs of staff within the OVCIA, including presentations and reports, as well as marketing and communications pieces
- Oversee the OVCIA website, including the development of copy content and management of design
- Coordinate messaging and strategy with Annual Funds staff to ensure OVCIA, campus, and annual fund messaging are consistent and mutually reinforcing
- Oversee OVCIA social media activities and participate in campus-level social media efforts, including but not limited to: development of strategic messaging, advertising campaigns, market research, and social media trending
- Handle media inquiries as needed
- Manage associated project(s) – including estimates, bids, billing, production, and distribution of final copy and materials
- Serve as the office liaison in working with colleges to collaborate and brainstorm alternative marketing efforts and formulate creative solutions
- Serve as liaison with the University of Illinois Foundation marketing staff on coordinated projects including university-wide fundraising efforts and annual meeting materials and presentations
Candidates must have at least a Bachelor’s degree. Advanced degree preferred.
A minimum of three years of experience in communications, marketing and/or advertising is required for the title Associate Director of Communications. A minimum of five years is required for Director of Communications
Excellent writing skills
Knowledge and awareness of social media
Knowledge of website development and content management
Able to work collaboratively with multiple constituencies, including campus units, alumni, and donors
Previous experience in a higher education setting preferred
Knowledge and awareness of higher education advancement
Project management experience in communications, marketing, advertising and/or publications
Previous experience in website content development and management
Salary and Title
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by June 15,2012. Please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Pam Christman, email@example.com. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
Interviews may take place prior to the closing date; however, no decision will be made until after that date.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employee committed to diversity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu)
The Illinois Advancement Community is committed to an ongoing, proactive process to foster and achieve diversity and inclusion in its development, alumni relations, and communications activities. We will respect and encourage different voices, perspectives, and ideas as we strive to represent individuals of all backgrounds and cultures which include but is not limited to the following: nationality, ethnicity, race, gender, sexuality, spirituality, age, and ability who represent our alumni, donors, and friends of the University of Illinois.